Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ending Life Humanely

I read this article on Letting Go.  It's a very long article, but worth the read.  I believe this is starting to address one of the areas of our society that we have just not been able to address.    The author is a doctor who is struggling with the conflict between trying everything you can for a terminally ill patient no matter the cost, and letting that patient go so they can enjoy the last days of their life rather than be tied up to machines or be worsened by treatments.  It's a hard topic and I think the author does a good job of presenting both sides of the issue.  I think the take away from the story is: "What are your end of life scenarios?"

The more we think about our end-of-life scenarios now, the better chance we have of making a good decision once we're in that situation.  Are you willing to suffer for a week for a 5% chance at living 2 years longer?  Are you willing to suffer for a month for a 1% chance at living 10 years longer?  What is your break even point?  What are the things that you want to live for?  Would you rather spend 1 more week comfortably with your family, or fight to the bitter end hoping for a miracle?  These are hard questions.

I believe that in an advanced society, we would not find it so hard to let go of the dying.  It's a certain shortfall of who we are.  Whether this is because of religion or an evolutionary need to preserve our own, our tendencies are misguided and we should work on this.  Figure it out for yourself.  Talk to your family.  Make a small step toward improving your end-of-life scenarios.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. We are dealing with this right now with my dog. Granted not the same a human life, but since I got her when I was 12, she really is my baby, she has cancer and rather than put her on expensive chemo drugs that will make her sick but prolong her life. My brother and I decided to opt for pain medicine on the basis that: she's an old dog and we know that she won't ever beat the cancer and the fact that we would much rather have one great last summer with her pain free than another year with a lethargic sick dog. So far there are been a couple of heart breaking moments. However, I believe we have made the best choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the conversation is very similar. We've lost a couple of pets in the last 5 years and both were very hard and traumatic. I think you hope for the same thing in both situations: That you provide the right amount of medical intervention to increase the chance of extended life while at the same time maximizing the quality of any life left.

    ReplyDelete