Thursday, October 29, 2009

Population Growth

It amazes me that the world population is growing with no plans from anyone on how we should handle it. I'm not saying that we should do something specific about it, but we should at least determine what a good population level might be and then put a plan in place to achieve that.

From reading articles on the web like http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/OpEd-Contributor/Science-czar_s-support-for-eugenics-should-raise-eyebrows-7971354-50765207.html, the thought of population control is absurd. While I agree some of the recommended measures are extreme and barbaric, I also think leaving population growth up to the will of individuals is irresponsible. This is one of those problems that will be much better solved if we fix it BEFORE there is crisis.

Current world population is close to 7 bln. In 1950, world population was under 3 bln. I'm not saying that this is bad, but I think we need to be asking a lot of questions about what is right and where we should be.

2 comments:

  1. A big part of population control should be in advancing the development of struggling countries. Population growth is much lower and even negative (Japan) in most developed nations.

    http://www.raisethehammer.org/images/world_population_growth.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess some day negative growth could actually be a problem. That's why I think we should determine an optimal population level and then work on achieving that.

    ReplyDelete