Friday, January 29, 2010

Bad Marketing and Pharmaceuticals

Ok, really what I'm talking about is clever marketing, but I also consider it somewhat evil.  What I'm referring to is cholesterol lowering drug makers.

CHICAGO - JULY 23:  Lipitor tablets sit in a t...Image by Getty Images via Daylife
I was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol (very surprising since I'm vegetarian, but that's a different story).  I start searching around for how to lower cholesterol and I mention it to a few friends.  And you know what I hear over and over again?  "High cholesterol is in my genes."  "You might not be able to do anything about it if it's genetic."  I understand that this may be true in some cases, but what the marketing departments
 at these big drug companies have done is instill a belief that cholesterol isn't your fault.  You are probably pre-disposed to having high cholesterol so you'll probably need medication.  I think this also has the effect of dissuading some people from trying too hard to lower their cholesterol through eating right and exercising.  Overall this is brilliant advertising and these drug companies are probably making $Billions as a result, but I think they're doing us a disservice and are being somewhat evil.  Pay attention to what you believe, it could be marketers giving you your opinion.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment