Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sexuality in the United States

This is probably my most uncomfortable post so far, but I have an idea and I want to put it out there for people to help me with it.

So, I find it interesting that we have Gyms in the US where people are okay being naked in front of other people.    And if you think about it, many of those people could very well be homosexual, but I don't know many people that are bothered by that.  There probably are, but I haven't met them.  My theory is that everyone is comfortable with the fact that checking out other people in the locker room is completely inappropriate, so it's just not done.  Same thing with underage sexuality.  Men, or at least decent men, have a built in switch that just doesn't allow for the chance of checking out underage women because it's accepted as inappropriate.

The thought is that if we can trust some segments of the population to not be inappropriate, then it seems like co-ed locker rooms would be an extension of this thought.  In addition, it would go against, rather than support, the idea that it's okay for Men to check out or look at women inappropriately whenever they get a chance.  Right now it's assumed that a heterosexual male will stare, if not closely examine, and enjoy seeing women naked.  What if our society could get beyond that?  What if we got to the point where it was never acceptable to "check out" a woman?  Imagine the implications for social interactions, fashion, advertising (media generally exploits the fact that men will drool over any half naked woman they see), and any other aspects of public sexuality.

Maybe it's not possible, but it's an issue that I think a modern society should think about and possibly address.  Not that I think locker rooms should go co-ed tomorrow, but just thinking about it brings up some interesting ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment