Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Future of Transportation

A blog I've been following written by Tan Kin Lian just alerted me to the fact that a Personal Rapid Transit system is being built at Heathrow airport.   This is really great and I hope it takes off and works correctly.  I kind of see this as a first step towards better transportation for the world as well as the next big economic and productive revolution.  If done well, this system should be able to cut down traffic deaths (30,000 in the US annually), reduce commuting times drastically, and reduce the costs of transportation for everyone.

The only problem I see with the proposed system is that it's on wheels instead of rails.  I really think that a track system, similar to those used on roller coasters, or a maglev system would be magnitudes better than a wheel on road system.  There's less friction on a track, higher speeds possible, improved safety, ability to power vehicles through the track, and I believe less expense.

While I'm very excited about the system, I hope a track system is considered soon after.  I've sent a letter to the company asking about tracks, not really expecting much in terms of response, but I think it'll be interesting to hear what they say.  I will post again when they respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment