Thursday, November 19, 2009

Gays and Lesbians in a Church setting

I am currently a member of a Lutheran Church in Colorado.  I am not heavily involved, but I have been watching developments in the way churches treat Gay and Lesbian members.  Our particular church has always been fairly conservative, so it is no surprise that when the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America), decided to open up to Homosexuals that our church did not go along.  Turns out quite a large number of churches are not in favor of this move and many are leaving the ELCA to form a new governing Lutheran body.  I feel like I am the middle of a church separation.  I can't imagine this happens very often, but it seems like down the road we may have two separate denominations of Lutheran churches and I was there when it happened.

Do I think the church is doing the right thing?  Well, all churches are accepting of sinners into their congregation.  They do preach against the practice and I imagine they request that those members repent and change their ways.  However, very few, if any, homosexuals attend our church (as far as I know).  The place where the churches seem to draw the line is in the appointment of homosexuals as clergy.  I guess the reasoning would be that nobody who is actively and willingly committing what the church considers sin, should be allowed in the clergy.  It's a fair point.  However, I don't think it's right for the church or any of it's members to judge another.  In addition, the church itself would likely admit that we are all sinners.  So how can anyone be allowed into the clergy?  I guess the distinction here would be those who are willing.  So then let's look at a different example.  What about people who get divorced?  I know of many in the church who are and they don't seem to get preached against.  Are they not willingly sinning in breaking their vows to their partner and to God?  I think this is one case where churches should examine their bias against homosexuality and ask if they are being consistent, or simply bigots.

WWJD?  Would Jesus tell a homosexual human being that they would have to cast down their lifestyle if they wanted to follow him?  Or would he tell the person to follow and spread the word?  What if a person was getting a divorce?  Could that person spread the word of God along side Jesus?  What's the difference?  Is there a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment